(Charles 1st Throne )
The entire westward section was originally known as Selden End, in recognition of the gift of books from the lawyer John Selden which occupy the portion of the Bodleian Library housed above. In 1665 and 1681, during the reign of Charles II, the chamber served as home for the English Parliament when it was unable to meet in London. Its present stone vaulted ceiling dates from 1758-9.
The Royalist newspaper, Mercurius Aulicus, was first published at Oxford in January 1643